In January, Mears Transportation Group, Central Florida's largest taxi and luxury car operator, commissioned a statewide poll surveying over 3,000 Florida consumers. This data collection initiative was supported by the Florida Taxicab Association, and conducted by Frederick Polls in order to determine public opinion on the vehicle-for-hire industry, laws regulating the industry and Uber's business model in particular.
The poll determined that, of the 3,024 Florida residents surveyed...
- 83% think Uber should be required to license their drivers the same as the taxi industry;
- 92% want Uber to carry traditional liability insurance like taxis and other transportation providers;
- 83% think Uber should serve ALL customers without discrimination;
- 69% believe Uber's fares (what they charge passengers) should be regulated to always be the same instead of the controversial "price surging" that the company employs, charging higher rates during inclement weather or a sporting events;
- 89% think Uber drivers should have to go through the same background checks that local taxi drivers must complete; and
- 78% of Floridians believe Uber should adhere to the same regulations that taxis must go through on the local level.